Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

hanging basket

Yesterday, Eli and I went to Mom Mom's house to go swimming. As Eli and I were entering the door to the garage, I heard a loud flapping sound to my right, directly next to my head. Of course I screamed and grabbed Eli and ran away. Bravery was never one of my strong points. :) I went back and looked around to see if a bird was still around, in the bush the next to the door, but I didn't see one so we were safe....because if it were still there, I would have to fight him because now I have to make up for the fact I ran away like a schoolgirl! :)

We swam a little bit. It was so hot yesterday! We also sat in chairs had a little snack, a favorite of Eli's: goldfish.



We peered into the cavernous storage bin of sports and of course, Eli wanted everything that was in it to be taken out of it to play with for a second and then move on to something else. Ah, the attention span of a toddler.

We did actually spend a good amount of time with the wiffle ball bat and trying to hit the ball. You can see in the background of this picture the infamous door where the flapping took place. Notice the hanging basket to the right. Next to that is a big bush, but that cannot be seen in this picture.

Eli let me use him in posing for photos. In this picture, I just told Eli that Mickey Mouse isn't real......haha, just kidding.

So my Mom came home and chatted a bit with us. I tell her the story of the killer bird, a la Alfred Hitchcock. She tells me that my Dad informed her that there is a nest in the hanging basket by the door. The basket is a bit high so I just reached my camera up there and took some blind shots. Below is what I saw.

Chad tells me they are robin eggs. I am excited to watch them progress and hatch, but I don't want to disturb them or the mama bird. I want to stay away and just reach my camera up there every once in a blue moon in the hopes to catch a glimpse of some baby robins. Is it an old wives tale that if you touch a nest or the eggs, that the mama bird will smell you and never come back? I have consulted the master of all urban myths: snopes. Here is what I found: http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/babybird.asp

I will try to keep up with the eggs and let you know of their progress! :)

No comments: