Pages

Monday, August 4, 2008

worry


To say I struggle with worry is a vast understatement. It consumes me and sometimes can break me down into a bundle of nerves and frustration. The worry radiates from my mind into my body, causing me to grind my teeth and have stomach issues. Ulcers are an inevitability for me later in life, if not in the next few years. And what do I have to worry about, I say to myself. I am truly blessed with:


with a wonderful husband

a healthy and happy child (though tantrum prone....yikes)

the ability to be a stay at home mommy

a nice home

a strong marriage

a healthy body

a church that has everything we need

a family that loves me deeply

friends at every corner


Why worry, right? Good question. I would ask my mind that, but it is too busy worrying. And in the last few weeks, the worry has increased exponentially and has gripped me, like a vice around my chest, squeezing and squeezing until I cannot breathe.


At church yesterday, Calvary Chapel Chester Springs, Pastor Chris did a sermon in Luke, chapter 12, verses 22-34. Our pastor, I felt, was speaking directly to me. Little old me, sitting in the back, in case they buzzed us to come and settle an upset Elijah. Sitting between my husband and our friend Clifton, with every word our pastor said, tears were coming down my cheeks like waterfalls. It was amazing how God was speaking to me through our pastor. I am sure I am not the only one that struggles with worry, but I truly felt God wanted me to hear this sermon at the perfect time (of course when I was more gripped with worry than ever). If you want to hear the sermon (it is about 20 minutes long, I believe), click here. Pastor Chris said so many powerful things and here are only two of them:


1. The phrase "o ye of little faith" is not meant to chastise. Another way to put it is, "if you only knew". We don't know the plans God has for us. We could be crying out the Lord, asking him why He isn't giving us this one thing that we desire the most, when if we only knew, it is in His plan to give it to us the next day. We have to remember His timing is perfect.


2. Worry is a poor substitute for prayer. Once worry creeps in, we need to stop in our tracks and pray....pray it away. It can be a little prayer, a long prayer, anything to get us to focus on His plan and not ours.


I am a poor substitute for our pastor's God given words and God given talent in expressing them in such a powerful way. If you have a chance and struggle with worry, please listen to his sermon. It spoke to me so deeply and I hope it speaks to you.

No comments: