Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

swing of death

I tend to impulse buy......and never for myself. It is interesting because I never impulse buy for myself (or buy anything for myself for that matter) and if I do, it is paid for with money that is gifted to me. So if I happen to be wearing anything that is even remotely nice, which is rare, it is because of my lovely family's gifts to me. But I digress.

I impulse buy at Toys R Us. It is dangerous for me to go there because I want to buy EVERYTHING for Eli. If he shows any interest in something at all, even a fleeting glance, I have to wrestle the urge to spend money that we clearly do not need to spend. And if I do lose that wrestling match, then half of the time, Eli is either more interested in the box the toy came in than the actual toy; or uses the toy for a day and then we won't see it ever again. So my latest impulse buy was a set of plastic golf clubs. I didn't feel too bad buying these since they were only $4.99. Another reason I did not feel bad is that he LOVES them!


In hindsight, giving golf clubs to a 19 month old, was not the smartest thing.

As you can see, Chad is fearful for his life and Elijah is using the patented one arm 'hockey' swing of death. This is very dangerous to all involved, as well as inanimate objects that happen to be in his path. We tried teaching him the true golf swing: use of two hands, controlled swing, making sure no one is in the path of destruction.


Eli looks on intently, watching and hopefully learning from Daddy the proper way to swing.


Then we let Eli try it as Chad sits, sceptically in the background....will he use two hands and swing nicely?


Ah, we are back to the one armed swing of death! And in actuality, if you think of it from a toddler's perspective, the swing of death is much more fun! :) But, so far, he has hit my sister Christine, myself and Chad as well as lots of walls and objects with those golf clubs. However recently, he has taken to using the two armed controlled swing and is doing really well with it. This might be because tried really praising the times he uses two hands and then trying to be quiet when he uses one. Positive reinforcement is a wonderful thing!


And after a hard 18 holes of golf, Eli needs a drink: ice cold iced tea!

1 comment:

a blog full of weldons. said...

somehow everything is a weapon to a little boy...gotta love it!