Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

smoking

Last week, after an outing at Bell Tavern Park, we stopped by the WaWa. As we pulled in and parked facing the side the of the building, there was a worker there. When I went into the back seat to get Eli out, he looked perplexed so I asked him:

Me: "Eli, what is wrong?"
Eli: (pointing at the worker) "What she eating?"

I looked over and saw the worker smoking a cigarette. He thought she was eating something and was confused about what it was. But he was not the only confused one. How do I explain smoking to a 2 year old? Should say what it is...a cigarette...and risk that he then could repeat the word to other kids and moms or possibly eat one himself that he finds on the ground? If I tell him what they are, will tell me he wants one? How do I explain that they are bad and cause cancer and death? Even if I did broach that topic (which Eli is way too young for anyway), what will he say when he sees people we know and love smoking?

You may be saying to yourself, "Denise, he is only two, you are talking crazy talk!". And I know that I do over think things....another bad habit I have. Plus, I even smoked myself for a time, so you may be calling me a hypocrite.

But this situation just made me think about the future. What will we say when he asks about death? Drugs? SEX?!?!!?!? It made me think that my little baby is growing so fast and won't stop. It is frightening to me to think he will be in school 7 hours a day in about 4 years!! Will he be prepared for the onslaught of bullies, bad words and forced independence???? Better yet, will I be???? I say this now.....I will have a full head of gray hair by the time Eli hits kindergarten.

No comments: