Pages

Friday, October 17, 2008

pride




I love this picture. Where could this picture be depicting? The old towns and mountains of the Poconos? Somewhere in Massachusetts? Not exactly. It is Coatesville, Pennsylvania and isn't it beautiful?

My family and I live in Coatesville. I read in the newspaper of drug deals going on in the daytime, fires, murder, robberies, all in the area I live in. There is a certain fear about living less than a mile from the city of Coatesville. But I choose to look at Coatesville for what it truly is. I look past the sadness, the crime, the frustration, most of which really is in any city. I look past that outer shell and I see the inner beauty in the town in which I live.

I take a street called Oak as a quick way into Thorndale. Oak street is a street that is on a high hill, overlooking the old vintage houses, grid streets, orange, yellow and red hues of trees and just hills and hills all over. I look at that view every time I travel this road and it is really breathtaking.


I go to our local Thorndale Giant food store. Eli and I take this weekly trip on the same day and the same time. We see Tim, the stock person and talk to him as we pass in the aisle every week. He loves to talk to Eli and ask him what he has been doing all week. Once our groceries are in the cart, we always go to the same check out woman named Debbie. She lets Eli press the buttons on the credit card key pad, and teaches him about the numbers and colors on it. These people live in my town, work in my town and are wonderful people. I look forward to my grocery trips, as does Eli.


Multiple times a day, a police cruiser slowly travels into our development. The police officers are always smiling and waving to us, just making sure all is safe for us and our family. In our neighborhood, we have never had any type of criminal activity in the 4 years it has been in existence. I feel very safe here.


100 yards from our house, an new park opened recently. It has a paved walking/biking trail and a huge play gym. It also has a toddler area as well. I have been waiting years for this park to be built and that time is finally here. Eli loves to take the same slide down every time. He also likes to throw rocks in the pond.



Our neighbors are the kindest people. They are the type that:

-when you come home from a long day at work, you see your empty trash cans pulled up from the sidewalk to the garage.

-when you need help putting a new grill together, they show up with every tool imaginable to help and stay 2 hours until it is finished.

-fun pranks are played on each other regularly.

-when you are away, you feel good that your house is being watched out for you.

Sure, the nearest Starbucks is in Lionville. Sure, down the road there is a store called 'Da Place Fo Da Face' and what they sell is a mystery to us (facials???). Sure, we have barely any backyard. Sure, we have to deal with traffic lights turning red when no other cars are coming in the opposite direction. But there is much to be thankful for when it comes to the place I live. And despite what anyone else thinks, I choose to see its beauty. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We LOVE Coatesville too!!! I am so glad someone else loves it the way we do- sure its a little scary, once in awhile if you are in with the wrong crowd, but being a stay at home mom is Coatesville is WONDERFUL!!! We are in the middle of it all here!!! Thanks for writing this I wish more people would think of Coatesville the way you think of it! I am VERY offended when people act like it is below them to live in Coatesville, its not and it and its great for children to learn how to grow up in a diverse neighborhood... We agree whole heartedly with you on this, Coatesville is BEAUTIFUL!!!