Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

confused

OB check stats:

-39 weeks pregnant tomorrow (almost there!)
-lost a pound and a half (NICE!)
-now almost 5 centimeters dilated (more dilation?)
-100% effaced (ummm, what?!?!)

Before the doc even checked me for dilation, he said that he put my name down on the induction schedule for this Wednesday.....2 days from now!!!! He then checked me and said I was closer to 5 centimeters now and 100% effaced. He said that because I labored so fast with Eli (went from 1 to 10 centimeters in 2 and a half hours) AND because I am progressing so quickly as far as dilation and effacement, that induction would be a good idea. Then I could have childcare for Eli taken care of, not have to worry about getting to the hospital in time (or delivering on the side of the road, which Chad is petrified of) and I would have my bags packed and everything ready to go.

BUT....

.....then there are a few other things that make me not want to be induced. I labored naturally with no drugs with Eli and though it was forced upon me because I labored so fast, I am actually proud of it. Since I did it the first time, I wanted to try to do it again the second time. I have read The Bradley Method book about birthing naturally and learning relaxation tips for during and after contractions as well as positions that work well. I have my CD player with my new age relaxation music ready to go. I was even going to bring an exercise ball to labor on because it helps labor progress when in a sitting position when gravity is also helping the process.

BUT......

......you may be asking, 'why can't you get induced AND have natural labor?'. Well, apparently Pitocin brings on contractions at a faster rate and can be more painful. Now I said I labored with Eli with no drugs, however this second time around, a little part of me knew that a) you forget about how painful labor really is until you are there again and b) I was screaming for an epidural with Eli fairly early on so my pain tolerance is loooooowwwww. So add on more painful contractions coming at a much faster rate than normal ones and I feel like I would never have a chance at laboring naturally this time.

ALSO....

...most of you know that I am a born again Christian and Chad is one too. Chad still thinks I am wacky when I explain this thought: I feel like if I get induced, I am taking the control away from God (or even nature) and taking control myself. I want to let God and Evangeline decide when it is time to leave my body and come meet us.

BUT.....

At the same time, God is putting this decision in front of me....does He know something I don't? Does he know that if I don't get induced, I will go into labor fast and not make it to the hospital??? I tested positive for Group B strep so she will need antibiotics that the hospital needs to give her. I am a born planner, for sure. If I do get induced, I know Eli will be taken care of, we can prepare him for Evie's coming (he does do well with preparation, not so well with surprises), I will know the day and time and anxiety about it all can be finally released after 9 months of build up.

SO....

.....you now think I am a crazy person and after reading my thoughts above, I have to agree. But this experience is one I will tell many people about and even Evie when she asks, so I want to be sure I am doing the right thing. Plus, I know as soon as I see her for the first time, this decision will be the furthest from my thoughts. I have to let the doctor know by tomorrow so I have much thinking and praying to do.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Denise! These things are so hard.
I guess my best perspective is that the doctors are trying to take all aspects of the situation into consideration. The possibility of a fast labor, your progress already, the need to give you and Evie antibiotics for the Strep B, the ability to plan for childcare and therefore reduce your stress, etc.
I had a friend deliver on her bathroom floor not too long ago. They had told her the same thing they told you (and me) about getting to the hospital quickly. Unfortunately, she didn't have that time and her husband delivered the baby.
Your feeling that you are interfering with God's timing by being induced is an honest and understandable one. I guess my advice would be to pray about it and remember that God uses people in our lives everyday to help us in many ways. Doctors are no exception.
Praying for you and looking forward to meeting Evie!

Jessica said...

Recognizing God's awesome power and ability to have a plan in place for us, before we ever understand what planning is, should let you know that Evie is ready. I agree with Susan. The doctors want to give you the opportunity to be as comfortable as possible with Eli in the best place possible. I wish you luck and comfort as you progress. I believe in God's power of "parental amnesia" in which HE manages to help us forget how difficult all this early on stuff is in order to keep doing it over and over again! Scratch the labor ball and listen to old Bill Cosby sketches where he re-enacts labor with his wife. The laughter will bring Evie into this world smiling. :-) Congrats

Jamie said...

I can't agree more with Susan. I didn't read the Bradley Method but was very open minded about a drug free birth...figured I'd see how things went. For the record, there is no shame in getting the epidural...I was happy to have it when it was offered, got 2 boluses to boot and wouldn't change a thing. You have to do what's best for you and Evie...you'll get it right...you know you're body and what you can handle. We're praying for all of you and can't wait to hear your good news!

a blog full of weldons. said...

oh sweetie! i feel so bad that you are struggling over this! i'm sure that every woman who has been induced can agree that it is a strange thing to have labor "forced" with drugs. if i ever have another baby i so want to be able to do it naturally to know what kind of an expirience that would be. keep praying about it. trust what God is telling you. maybe you are going to go into labor in the next 24 hours and then you can just tell the doc to meet you at the hospital :)
OR, an even better plan...we have a 2 man tent that you could borrow! you and chad could just camp out at the hospital on an air mattress! now that is COMFORTABLE! haha! yeah, right!!! just kidding of course :)
i LOVE YOU!!! hang in there!
i'll be praying for you tonight!

Pam said...

Denise, We will be praying for you and Evangeline! I am going to pray that she comes on her own before the induction...perhaps right after you check into your room. ;o) Pitocin does make it hard...I was induced since Dianna was over 1 week late and I made it to 7 1/2 before giving in. But, I will say this, God is with us no matter what. He knows your heart and knows that you will be better knowing Eli is safe and that Chad won't have to deliver his daughter on the side of the road! ;o) But no matter what, just think about Evangeline and how great it will be to have her in your arms. Eli is going to be a great big brother!