Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

asleep

Lately, we at the DeBolt household have been experimenting with not putting Eli down for a nap. You see, it takes him forever and a day to get to sleep at his normal bedtime of 8:00. So instead of moving his bedtime to later in the night, we decided to try this omission of a nap to see how it worked out. Newsflash....it is not working out.

The sleep deprived tantrums are terribly frightening. Just today I was blessed with a tantrum at Walmart that lasted 15 minutes and rivaled that of John McEnroe in his glory days. And, if we get in the car to go anywhere in the afternoon, by mile 2, he is out cold.
Case in point, the other day we drove to the corner store less than 2 miles from our house. He made it there without falling asleep. I picked up a few necessities and let him get a lollipop. When I pulled into the driveway and got out to get him out of the car, this is what I found:
If you look closely, you can see that his lollipop is still in his hand, barely licked. You can even still see the ring around the middle.
After I took these pictures, I got him out of the car and he quietly walked to the door with his cup in hand and sat on the doorstep. I went to get Evie out of the car and saw something that I tried to record. The below is as much as I got, but it basically is Eli falling asleep on the doorstep! Get this kid some sleep, STAT!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, Denise! Hang in there! You could try letting Eli take a nap, but a shorter one, like only an hour or a half hour. (Unless you've tried this and any amount of sleep results in no sleeping at night.) We have to wake Ben up by three (no matter when he goes down) or we know he'll never go to sleep at night.